For Physicians: Referring Patients
Sleep Referral Form
Sleep Houston understands the frustration you face when patients are unable to tolerate a CPAP, and we are here to help. Our first encounter with a patient involves an in-depth discussion to understand why the patient is not using their CPAP. We also confirm that the patient is aware of the dreadful consequences when discontinuing CPAP use.
Finally, we stress that they consider a renewed effort to adapt to CPAP. If that is not a possibility, we will then proceed with the oral appliance evaluation.
What you can expect from our office:
- We follow AADSM/AASM protocol for treating sleep apnea as well as the Texas Medical Board.
- We will always send follow-up letters so you can follow along with your patient’s treatment.
- We will always require a referral from your patient’s sleep doctor or primary care doctor. (No online or in-office diagnosing.)
- We are credentialed providers with Medicare, Tricare, and most medical insurance plans. We will work with and DIRECTLY bill these medical insurance plans.
- We always use the highest-quality patient-specific appliances. We are not a one-size-fits-all office!
- We are committed to continuing education for sleep apnea and oral appliance therapy, constantly challenging ourselves to read the latest studies and attend various continuing education courses.
- We are not afraid to tell a patient that oral appliance therapy may not work for them based on our findings with the patient.
- We educate patients on the adjunct treatment options such as bed wedges, nasal cones/strips, sleep masks, diet/weight loss, proper vitamin levels, and proper sleep hygiene.
- We continue to see great results with the use of oral appliances and recognize that the CPAP is still the gold standard in treating sleep apnea.
Dr. Schleicher, our owner and our sleep dentist, enjoys meeting with physicians and their teams to educate on oral device therapy and how we can be a resource for you and your patients. If this is something you feel will benefit your office and would like to schedule a lunch and learn, or breakfast and learn, please call the office to schedule.
*Please note, when referring a patient to our office, we need a copy of the patient’s medical insurance card(s) – front and back, demographic information, baseline HST/PSG, pertinent clinical record notes, a Letter of Medical Necessity, and the prescription for the appliance.
A referral form, which includes the Letter of Medical Necessity and the Prescription for the Appliance, can be found on the Sleep Referral Form tab above. Fax to 866-420-8578. We look forward to working with you.
Please fill out this Letter of Medical Necessity and Prescription for Appliance Form and fax to: 866-420-8578. It is our pleasure to be part of your treatment team for your patient.